The Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, Selayang Hospital provides a range of psychiatric treatment, carries out mental health promotion, trains all levels of health care professionals and is actively involved in research.
The comprehensive range of services is provided in a number of locations. On level 2 of the hospital is located the Psychiatric ward 2C which is a gazetted ward under the Mental Health Act 2001 that provides for the treatment of voluntary and involuntary inpatients. On the same level is located the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry service also known as MeKAR that provides multidisciplinary outpatient, referral and consultation services to children and adolescents aged below 18 years. The Community Psychiatry Unit is also located on this level and it provides Hospital Based Community Psychiatry Service to patients in the community and in their homes. The outpatient Specialist Psychiatry Clinic is located on level 4 in clinics shared with the Department of Dermatology.
The department is headed by a senior consultant psychiatrist. The multidisciplinary staff consists of psychiatrists (general and subspecialty), medical officers, nurses, assistant medical officers, occupational therapists, counselors, a speech therapist and attendants. The department partners with the psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and nursing staff of the medical faculty of Universiti Teknologi MARA(UiTM) who use the department facilities for the teaching of undergraduate medical students and postgraduate Masters trainees in Psychiatry.
The department is an accredited training centre for the Conjoint Masters of Psychiatry program as well as for subspecialty training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
The department will utilize evidence-based practice that is current and of the highest standards as well as being patient-centered and patient-friendly. Care is provided through a multidisciplinary team and in collaboration with other relevant departments in the hospital as well as via networking with other departments and organizations outside the hospital.
The department also practices the core values of Selayang Hospital and the Ministry of Health including the corporate culture of Professionalism, Teamwork and Caring Culture. It also adheres to the provisions of the Mental Health Act 2001 that governs the provision of psychiatric service and includes comprehensive care, treatment, control, protection and rehabilitation of those with mental disorders.
The Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, Selayang Hospital will be a centre of excellence in providing psychiatric care and treatment, conduct training and research as well as produce innovations that will deliver the best possible outcome for the patients and society.
1. Comprehensive, effective and efficient services, including outpatient, inpatients, community outreach services, special services looking into child and adolescents, elderly, co-morbidity with substance use, etc.
2. Integrated psychiatric services in mainstream general health care and continuous services
3. Promotion of mental health services for the general population and specific target groups
4. Multisectoral collaboration and opportunity for community participation
5. Training for all levels of staff
6. Monitoring of standards by key performance indicators, National Indicator Approach (NIA), credentialing and privileging of special procedures
7. Research that is service-oriented and providing evidence for clinical practice
8. Services that comply with legislation i.e. Mental Health Act 2001
1. Promotion of mental health
2. Early detection and prompt treatment (including emergency psychiatric care available 24 hours per day)
3. Specialist outpatient care
4. Inpatient care
5. Hospital-based community psychiatry (including community outreach)
6. Psychosocial interventions (counseling, clinical psychology)
7. Consultation services
8. Subspecialised services e.g. child and adolescent psychiatry, addiction psychiatry, consultation-liaison psychiatry, community and rehabilitation psychiatry
9. Patient education and family support
10. Training, continuing medical education and continuing professional development
Adult Psychiatry Clinic
- Adult psychiatry location at level 4 clinic level. The adult psychiatric clinic is conducted on every working MONDAY & WEDNESDAY commencing from 0900hrs and ends at 1200hrs. Every clinic has patient slots, divided into one slot for new patients lasting one (1) hour and six (6) slots lasting twenty minutes each for follow-up cases.
The new case slot is from 0900hrs till 1000hrs while the follow-up slots are from 1000hrs till 1140hrs in intervals of 20 minutes each. Should the number of patients exceed the available slots, then they can be scheduled under Overbooked Slot from 0800hrs till 0900hrs or the Urgent Slots from 1200hrs till 1230hrs.
Child Psychiatry Clinic (Mekar)
-child psychiatry Clinic also call as Mekar. Mekar location al level 2 near Emergency Department. The Child psychiatric clinic is conducted on every working Tuesday & Friday. Every clinic has patient slots, Scheduled patients who default a visit shall be rescheduled only once. A reminder of the appointment date shall be given for all `high risk ` patients * one week prior to the scheduled date. There are 3 staff nurse and I JM work from 8am to 5pm
- location of ward 2c at level 2 near X-ray Department. Ward 2C has 20 gazetted beds for male and female patient. Admission of patient based on mental health ACT 2001. Wad 2C was operated 24 hour a day with divided with 3 shift. All ward location was monitor by CCTV. There are 21 staff working for taking care of all patient. From 21 staff 13 are staff nurse and 8 Assitant Medical Officer.
|Klinik Pakar Psikiatri
| Unit Mekar
|| Wad 2c