Mission, Vision & Objective
We are committed to:
Deliver high quality, efficient, cost effective and evidence based health care
Promote wellness in the community
Work as a disciplined, competent and professional workforce
To provide a comprehensive clinical patient- centered medical and surgical services in all aspects of Otorhinolaryngology with emphasis on active participation of the patient, family members and the healthcare providers.
1. As a center that provide Secondary level as well as Subspecialised Otorhinolaryngology service
- To provide all the services related to Otorhinolaryngology as in any General Hospital that provides such services to the community. To provide adequate investigative procedure/s and preliminary care for the patient prior to referral to another unit for specialized care as and when deem necessary.
- To provide the necessary supportive allied health services related to the Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery i.e. Audiology and Speech Therapy.
- To perform elective surgical procedures as scheduled in the operation list/s and this shall apply to inpatients as well as for day surgery
- To attend to emergency cases irrespective of working hours and according to scheduled rotation.
2. Other functions of the ORL Department
This shall imply public health educating as related to the care of the ear, nose and throat, and to increase the awareness of the public on pollution, occupational health hazards such as noise-induced deafness and the importance of its prevention, traumatic injuries, effects of smoking and drug abuse, and factors contributing to cancers of the head & neck.
Annual awareness campaign is conducted in the Hospital Lobby for 2 weeks to
educate the staff and public on the care of the ear, hearing and speech. Activities include lectures, posters display, games and puzzles. The public and staff participation has been very encouraging
As The Training Centre
The ORL Department in Selayang Hospital shall be actively and fully participates, not only in training of the specialty but also be involved in training of the basic principles of Medicine and Nursing.
The Department shall play an important role in stimulating interest and in promoting the science of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery.
The Department shall fully participate in the training of the following groups:
- Candidates undergoing Sub-specialized training in Laryngology and Head & Neck Surgeries
- Post- graduate Master In Otolaryngology Programme candidates and Fellowship candidates
- Nurses and Assistant Medical Officers
- Trainee Audiologists and Audiology Technicians
- Speech Therapists and Trainees
3. Promoting Research and Innovations in Otorhinolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery
Research and innovations are highly encouraged in the Department as in accordance
with G.O.P No. 4.5 with specific reference to the field. This shall be carried out by the
Department initiative or along with the training programs.
Currently, the Department is conducting 2 research studies i.e.
- Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC) Molecular studies, collaboration with Institute of Medical Research (IMR) and
- The reliability and accuracy of Multiple Auditory Steady State Response (MSSR) and Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) in Children